This weekend, I headed back to Temple for homecoming. I was reunited with my best friends and got to watch our football team win its first Big East game since 2004. I’ve been back to campus a bunch of times since graduation, but this was different.
Recently, Temple unveiled a new campaign called #TempleMade. They held a giant celebration at the Bell Tower and created a video to showcase “Temple Made” students. As I watched this video play on the jumbotron at the football game, I thought about the reasons why I am “Temple Made.”
1. My perspective: Before I went to college, I was exposed to the same type of people with the same type of lifestyle. Going to Temple helped to widen my perspective and appreciate people from all walks of life. I’ve learned about different cultures, seen real life examples of inequality and watched people work through them. I had my mind opened up to so many new, amazing things thanks to Temple.
2. Humility: Temple has taught me to embrace the phrase “Be kind, for everyone is fighting their own battle.” I think part of being “Temple Made” is being empathetic and understanding that everyone struggles equally; no ones is more worse off then the next person.
3. The Ability to Think: Temple professors don’t just lecture, they teach you how to think and problem solve. They expose students to hands-on experiences that make us better students and ultimately better individuals.
4. Crisis Communication 101: At the start of my junior year, I became a Resident Assistant. I was responsible for 5o residents, designed educational programs for them and responded to various issues in the building. This job taught me how to be calm in a crisis and what exactly to say to people during them. It’s proven to be an invaluable skill. Plus, the ResLife crew is a bunch of awesome, inspiring people. They have become my mentors and friends during the last two years.
5. Family is Defined By Who Shows Up: I might have learned this before Temple but it was definitely solidified this past year. First off, Temple Owls are always willing to support one another and come together in times of need. Then there’s my family, a group of girls who consistently show up for me and take care of me when I forget to take care of myself. I am proud to say I’m still friends with my very first college friend, Trish. We met because she heard my extremely loud voice through the wall between our rooms. She has proven to be the most consistent part of my college career and one of the happiest people I know.
I’ve also found my real-life Christina Yang and together with our crazy cat lady, we formed Club Rockstar. Sorry, they are actually known as Lauren and Niki. Niki is my biggest fan, always there when I need to be cheered on. Lauren and I have a friendship that defines anything I’ve ever know. We are just on the same wavelength all the time and she understands me better than I do myself.
I was reminded this weekend that being “Temple Made” is something special. It means defying adversity, supporting fellow Owls and working hard to make dreams come true. All of this has motivated me to stop with my negative attitude and to keep moving forward. My time as an Owl was the best four years of my life with memories that will last a lifetime. I will be proud forever to be #TempleMade.
Tagged: Alumni, College, Family, Friends, Homecoming, Humility, Perspective, Temple Made, Temple University
Leave a Reply