After my first business trip to California, I wrote about how a large-scale event goes off without any issues. Most of it is thanks to planning. But what happens when you get on-site? How do you as a team member make it the best possible experience for all those involved?
Large-scale events like conferences or milestone programs typically have several moving parts. There are a lot of people to manage, rooms to inspect for issues, goals to achieve and problems to solve. As an on-site team member, your role is to help ensure things run smoothly. After being on-site three times now, here are some things I do to make sure our program is a success.
- Print your schedule: I have a copy of my schedule printed before I leave for the trip. Each morning, I put that day’s schedule in my pocket so I always have it as a reference. There is also an extra copy printed in my folder that stays in our team office.
- Know it cold: You should read your schedule beforehand and check with its creator if you have any questions. Doing a quick site visit prior to the program’s start is also a good idea so you know where each room/location is.
- Conserve energy: This one is probably the hardest while on-site. The days are long and you need to be giving each minute your absolute best. However, you should take time for yourself, to renew your energy (another post to follow on this concept!) and to check in back home. Find a ritual that helps you recharge your batteries. It could be a quick run or a Skype session with your kids. Whatever works!
- Dress for success: As silly as this sounds, your mood will be more positive if you are comfortable and dressed nicely. Make sure you know the dress code before heading to your destination. No one wants to be under dressed and without other clothing options.
- Smile: When something goes wrong or you don’t know an answer to a question, keep a smile on your face. This way, the person you’re helping will not panic and neither will you. If you forget something or make a mistake, don’t let it get to you. Stay as positive as possible and don’t let one issue ruin an entire program.
These are some of my personal tips while on-site at a program. I always try to make the most of the opportunity I’ve been given to participate in such an awesome program. How do you stay focused and efficient during on-site events. Let me know!
Tagged: Conferences, Energy, Events, On-site, Positive Attitude, Programs, Schedules, Travel
Leave a Reply