Over this past weekend, we celebrated my mom’s 50th birthday with a grandiose surprise party, complete with red carpet and paparazzi. We danced all night long and properly celebrated a woman who has lived every minute of her fifty years.
I could be biased since she is my mom, but I haven’t encountered anyone who’s lived life to the fullest like her. She makes every moment count and learns something from every experience. In my 23 years on this earth, she’s only imparted a fraction of that wisdom on me. Here are my favorite “mom-isms” I’ve gotten from her!
1) You can never have too many people who love you.
2) You have to create your own definition of success.
3) Some days you’re the bat, some days you’re the ball.
4) For every pot, there is a cover, but some people are cookie sheets.
5) Heaven Must Have Sent You is by far the best disco song of all time.
6) You can only control your reaction to a situation, not anyone else’s.
7) I am your mother first then your friend.
8) Lead never follow (not never, but you know, don’t follow the crowd).
9) Everyone is different.
10) Hard work does pay off in the long run.
11) Work hard, play hard.
12) Don’t apologize for being successful.
13) Sundays are for pasta and football.
14) Being rich doesn’t necessarily equate to having money.
15) Parenting is by far the hardest job in the world.
16) Sleep is never overrated.
17) The strike zone is armpit to knee. Don’t swing at anything else.
18) Pick and choice your battles.
19) Take your vitamins.
20) Your girlfriends, like those no-matter-what, I-have-your-back best friends, are the true loves of your life.
21) College was meant to teach you how to think, not for you to learn every last thing in a textbook.
22) There is power in prayer.
23) Your father loves you, don’t ever forget that.
24) Life is short, buy the shoes.
25) Celebrate your birthday all month long.
26) A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
27) You should do your own version of the opening ceremonies every Olympic Games.
28) Sometimes you should do it yourself and others you should write the check.
29) There is such a thing as a power outfit, down to the underwear.
30) Find your own voice.
31) Manicures and pedicures are worth the money. Also, don’t go to work with chipped nails.
32) You’ve earned that vacation, take it.
33) Sometimes your friends will need a hug and sometimes they’ll need space. Know the difference.
34) Always have a “go-bag”
35) If it’s a priority, find a way to get it done.
36) Men are only a part of life, not all of it.
37) Don’t spend money you don’t have.
38) Pay it forward anyway you know how.
39) Laughter really, really, really is the best medicine.
40) The delicate setting on the washer and dryer is cheaper than the dry cleaners.
41) Lease your cars.
42) You can’t write a recipe for meatballs: you’ll know they’re right based on the texture and smell.
43) Turn the radio up if a good song comes on. Who cares if it’s 6 a.m.?
44) Wherever you are, I’ll be there too. Mom ranks as #1.
45) Learn as many ways as possible to get from a place to your home. Back roads save lives.
46) Smile even if you have no idea what’s going on.
47) If the music is good, you better be dancing.
48) Go to the doctor and the dentist regularly.
49) A mother’s love is unconditional even when you do something stupid.
50) It’s all about the journey.
I’m so lucky to have my mom as my role model and friend. No one compares to her!
Tagged: Advice, Birthdays, Celebrations, Fifty, Life lessons, Mom, Surprise Party
Leave a Reply